Camp Lake Baptist Church began on Nov. 1, 1959 as the result of the burden of Bro. Jim Carmichael of the Galilean Mission. The first meetings took place in a block building near the present Camp Lake Store. About 1961 a business man named Mr. Jelsema helped the church build its first sanctuary near the corner of N. Division Ave. & Hull St., its present location. Bro. Art Bignall was the first full time pastor, for about 18 years. Bro. Sam Wiltheiss pastored the church for 8 years, and Bro. Bill Dodge for four years after that. There were interim pastors also in the history of the church. In 1992, a major step was taken by the congregation to expand the facilities by adding a 40'x80' building that would greatly enhance the church's outreach, with Sunday School rooms, restrooms, a library, a nursery, and a kitchen. All this while not having a full time pastor! Two godly men helped the church spiritually as interims during this construction phase: Bro. Harold McNeil and his son, Bro. Duane McNeil. Pastor Dennis L. Tyson was called in late 1992 and began as pastor on Jan. 10, 1993 to present.
As the church grew one of it great needs was a Youth Pastor. In 1996 Pastor Mark Yates accepted the call to CLBC and has been here ever since. The growth continued and the need for a larger sanctuary was evident. In 1998 we contracted with builder David Nelson who constructed our present sanctuary. Another need was a baptistery, as we had been using various lakes over the years. In 2009 member and builder Jim Greiner added the baptismal tank and extended our sanctuary further east to its present condition.
One of the former members had a vision for a gym. Tim Bronkema lit that spark under our congregation and although it took about 20 years, it has come to fruition! We just completed our latest building project! To God be the Glory!
